John Eifler is the president of the architectural firm of Eifler & Associates. He received a Master of Architecture degree from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee in 1979 and a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Valparaiso University in 1973. Mr. Eifler began practicing architecture in the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, where he worked from 1979 to 1989. While employed at SOM, he was project architect for the restoration of the Charnley House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan in 1892. John Eifler established his office in 1990. His firm has been responsible for the restoration of a number of buildings designed by noteworthy architects, including Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, George Maher, Walter Burley Griffin, Schmidt Garden & Martin, Tallmadge & Watson, Pond and Pond and E.E. Roberts.
Eifler & Associates current practice includes both new construction and restoration work. The practice has designed new homes in Door County, WI, Oak Brook, IL and many states throughout the midwest. Rehabilitation work includes a substantial Georgian “cottage” in Newport, Rhode Island, a turn of the century mansion in Chicago, and large estates in the suburbs of Chicago. They have provided architectural services for the restoration of numerous commercial and public structures such as the Garfield Park Conservatory, Graceland Cemetery, the Wilder Park Conservatory, Indian Boundary Fieldhouse, and the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool.
Mr. Eifler has lectured in the United States, Italy and Argentina regarding his preservation work and the firm’s methods of incorporating green, sustainable building techniques in his projects. Mr. Eifler was featured in Preservation Magazine for his sustainable building methods used in the restoration of a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed residence in Glencoe, IL. He has served as a Board Member of the Frank Lloyd Wright Conservancy, The American Institute of Architects and Landmarks Illinois.