Citation of Merit
The jury awards a Citation of Merit for the conservation of Louis I. Kahn’s Margaret Esherick House.
“A rare residence by the master architect Louis I. Kahn, this house has been restored by owners who painstakingly sought to have the genius of Kahn shape their approach to the restoration. Extraordinary sensitivity to the original details included the services of a paint conservator; restoration of the idiosyncratic, Wharton Esherick designed, original kitchen, long outdated, and made useful by today’s standards by adding contemporary components in an adjacent utility area; and cleverly adapting the spirit of the character-giving shutters during the winter months, allowing a sustainable future for the house.”
Paul Savidge and Daniel Macey (Homeowners)
- k YODER design (Architecture)
- Louise Cohen, NCIDQ, ASID (Interior Design)
- Materials Conservation (Conservation)
- William Whitaker, curator and collections manager of the Architectural Archives of the University of Pennsylvania School of Design, which includes the Louis I. Kahn Collection (Louis Kahn expertise)
- Paul Eisenhauer, former executive director of the Wharton Esherick Museum, Malvern, Pa. (Wharton Esherick expertise)
- Keast & Hood (Structural Engineering)
- Hansel Contractors, Inc. (Construction)
- AV Environments (New Projection System)
- The Marble Restoration Company (Soapstone)
- LaFont Studio (New Cabinetry)
- Jeffrey Totaro Photography (Photography)
AIA Philadelphia Landmark Building (1992), listed on the Philadelphia Registry of Historic Places, and one of five inaugural inductees into the Chestnut Hill Architectural Hall of Fame (2015).