Modernism Week, the annual festival that highlights midcentury modern architecture, art, interior and landscape design, and vintage culture in Palm Springs will offer Modernism Week – October from October 19-22, 2023.
Modernism Week — October is a four-day long “mini-Modernism Week” featuring more than 50 events during 4 days, including several free and low-cost programs, tours, talks, and parties in unique locations not regularly open to the public. The Palm Springs Modernism Fall Show, featuring nearly 50 premier national exhibitors offering vintage furniture, decorative and fine art representing all design movements of the 20th century and 21st century contemporary design will, returns for its ninth year.
Locals and visitors alike will enjoy the exciting line-up of home tours, iconic architecture, and entertaining parties.
A full schedule of events is available at modernismweek.com. Some highlights include:
- Albert Frey's Palm Springs Bus Tour (10/21 and 10/22, $130)
A comprehensive exploration of the homes and buildings of this preeminent Modernist architect.
- Sophisticated Sun Seeker: The Gillman Residence Tour (10/21, $50)
Tour the Herbert Burns-designed Gillman Residence (1948), sublime residential architecture with a fascinating preservation story.
Popular Returning Bus Tours
- Premier Double Decker Architectural Bus Tour (10/19 – 22, $120)
Modernism Week’s signature tour of the most significant midcentury treasures of Palm Springs.
- Twilight Architectural Bus Tour (10/20 and 10/21, $60)
Similar to the premier tour, but with golden twilight hues.
Popular Returning Non-Bus Tours
- The Oasis Is Real: Home Tour (10/21, $60)
A self-guided tour of five wonderfully different homes built between 1939-1970, spotlighting the brilliant spectrum of ways to create an oasis in the desert.
- Sunnylands (10/19 – 10/22, $75)
Access the famed Sunnylands estate, designed by A. Quincy Jones in 1966 and restored in 2012.
- Twin Palms Guided Walking Tour: An Insider’s Perspective of the Desert’s First Modernist Neighborhood (10/19 – 10/22, $45)
Experience the desert's first Modernist neighborhood on the only tour guided by a neighborhood resident, local author, and neighborhood organization founder.
- Temple Isaiah: The Evolution of Classical to Extreme Modernism (10/19 and 10/21, $50)
This guided media presentation and walking tour includes the E. Stewart Williams Modernist 1950s Liberman Chapel and David Christian’s Brutalist 1980s Bochner Sanctuary.
- Lost, Saved & Endangered: Modernist Architecture in Palm Springs (10/20)
Palm Springs Preservation Foundation board president Gary Johns will present his popular slide lecture about modernist architecture in Palm Springs.
- Hot Purple Energy Architectural Bike Ride (10/21)
Pedal your way through architecturally significant neighborhoods in South Palm Springs.
- A+D Book Sale by the Friends of the Palm Springs Library (10/21)
Featuring a robust collection of architecture and design books representing various styles and authors. The event includes an appearance by architectural historian and author Alan Hess.
- Modernism Yard Sale (10/22)
Unique and affordably priced vintage furniture and accessories. Complementary donuts and coffee provided while supplies last.
Tickets are currently on sale and sell out fast - advance ticket purchase strongly encouraged.