A school dedicated to visual arts was established at Yale in 1864 and it was the first to be connected to an institute of higher learning in the United States. Over the course of the next century, the school expanded to include other disciplines including the establishment of an architectural department in 1916. Today we can trace this history along with Yale’s growing collection of fine art through the Yale Art Gallery, the Yale Center for British Art*, Rudolph Hall (formerly the Art & Architecture building) and the School of Art. Join architect George Knight and Design Gallery director John Stuart Gordon for an overview of this development, the buildings that house them and the restoration projects to preserve them.
Guide: George Knight, AIA conservation architect for the Yale Center for British Art
Space is limited.
*Note: The Yale Center for British Art is temporarily closed for conservation. Guests will be notified closer to the tour if we will be able to enter the building. Please also know that the Yale Art Gallery requires guests to be masked unless fully vaccinated and boosted.*