The Docomomo US/NOCA Travel Grant provides financial support for students and emerging professionals committed to the documentation and conservation of Modern buildings and landscapes. The intention of the scholarship is to enable one individual to participate in the Docomomo US 2019 National Symposium in Hawaii from September 25-28.
The 2019 Docomomo US/NOCA Travel Grant provides a single grant (up to $1,000) for related expenses, including (but not limited to):
- Registration to National Symposium
- Travel expenses to and from National Symposium
- Lodging expenses during the Symposium
The scholarship is open to current undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students enrolled in established institutions of higher learning, as well as emerging professionals who have graduated within the past three years.
Applicants must be actively engaged in issues concerning the documentation and conservation of buildings, sites, and neighborhoods of the Modern Movement in Northern California. “Documentation” may be in the form of research or scholarship, such as thesis or class projects, related to architecture, design, or planning topics associated with the 20th Century Modern Movement.
Applicants are asked to demonstrate their committed interest in the subject and how the scholarship will meaningfully advance their goals or work.
The grant recipient will be asked to give a 30-minute presentation following the Symposium to discuss their interests in Northern California Modernism and their experience at the symposium. Presentations may be conducted in person or over video (e.g., Skype).
Within three weeks of the Symposium, the recipient is required to submit an article (500-2000 words) on their experience at the symposium with accompanying photographs. The article will be published in the Docomomo US newsletter.
To qualify for consideration of the Docomomo US/NOCA grant award, please submit your application by April 30, 2019. Details for applying follow.
Application to include:
1. Statement (in English, 750 words) that explains how this grant will meaningfully advance your goals, scholarship, or work. Please discuss:
- Your research interests in the Modern Movement in Northern California and how your research will contribute to the scholarship or body of knowledge on Northern California Modernist architecture and design
- What you hope to learn and accomplish by attending the Docomomo US National Symposium
2. Curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum)
3. Proof of educational enrollment (where applicable)
4. Proposed expense budget (include estimated expenses, such as registration fees, travel, and lodging)
- EXTENDED DEADLINE: Applications will close on June 30, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
- Please email your submission as an email attachment (Word or PDF) to email@example.com under the subject line “Travel Grant Application.”
- The grant recipient will be notified in July 2019.