“El Centro de Estudiantes de la universidad de Puerto Rico” was conceived as part of a new master plan for the university's primary campus of Rio Piedras in 1948. The university extended an invitation to the architect Henry Klumb, who at the time was under the employment of the office of Frank Lloyd Wright, to develop this plan, as well as to design several of the plan’s components, including a new Student Center. The project for this complex was executed 10 years after its conception and took two years to complete (1958-1960). This project is of significant importance to the architectural history of the island of Puerto Rico as well as the Caribbean for two primary reasons: First, the new buildings, upon completion, established a precedent for modern university building types on the island as well as for universities throughout the Caribbean. Secondly, the commission brought the work of Henry Klumb to Puerto Rico, a man who helped to redefine the island’s built environment by introducing low-cost examples of Modernist architecture into the tropical setting.