Upon its completion in 1958, Congregation Habonim exemplified the postwar architectural trends that gave rise to the modern American synagogue. The building’s exterior and lobby walls were clad in white-glazed brick with heavy black specks arranged in a running bond. The two-story lobby featured ruby-glazed mosaic-tile walls, white-terrazzo floor panels bordered by white alloy zinc strips, aluminum handrails, and glass balconies. The 17-foot high sanctuary and social hall combined into one large space through a system of movable wooden folding partitions, designed to accommodate weekly services as well as larger services during the High Holy Days. A triangle-shaped bima formed a prow shape on the building’s exterior. The bima’s bordering walls featured fireproof walnut spandrels and mullions that framed thirteen abstracted, multicolored stained-glass windows that allowed light to stream into the sanctuary.