The current Buffalo & Erie County Public Library opened in 1964 on the site of an earlier 1887 library structure. It was designed by local architects, James W. Kideney & Associates. The library continues to be used as the central circulation and research library for Buffalo and Erie County. Due to its ongoing good maintenance, the exterior materials of white Vermont marble and polished dark granite are in good shape with no signs of significant damage or cracking of the material. The interior was well designed and renovated making this building a suitable and defined space. The marble and granite façade helped to give the overall appearance of the well- known international style of modernism balanced by substantial glass curtain walls with stainless steel framing. To maximize the footprint of the two-block site at Lafayette Square, the building was constructed over Ellicott Street forming a modern portal like tunnel through the building. Despite continual laments that this brand of refined modernism removed the earlier Victorian Gothic library designed by Cyrus Eidlitz, the library is well used and in no danger.