Completed in 1961, Begrisch Hall stands in the southwest section of the Bronx Community College campus. During the late 1940s, New York University, then located in University Heights, embarked on a major building campaign. Many prominent architects participated, including Marcel Breuer, who was commissioned in 1956 to design a comprehensive master plan for the campus. Executed in exposed reinforced concrete, the trapezoidal structure features a pair of sloping cantilevers that spring from side-wall trusses and appear to defy gravity. These bold sculptural forms reflect specific programmatic requirements, enclosing a pair of steep-floored lecture halls seating a combined 250 students. Begrisch Hall exemplifies Breuer’s later career, a period when the architect frequently investigated the expressive qualities of reinforced concrete, anticipating such notable structures as the Whitney Museum of American Art.