Celebrate the 60th Anniversary of The Fish.
Architect Wallace K. Harrison
This event is sponsored by Highland Green Foundation.
Interior photograph by Robert Gregson
Wallace K. Harrison was the lead architect of the Albany Empire State Plaza, United Nations Headquarters in New York City, Lincoln Center, the Trylon and Perisphere at the 1939 World’s Fair and the Hall of Science for the 1964 World’s Fair. He completed dozens of commissions in New York City and was Nelson Rockefeller’s personal architect. But upon completion of the sanctuary of the First Presbyterian Church in 1958, Harrison’s only religious building, he declared, “the church was the most satisfying job [he] ever worked on”.
The Harrison design follows the modernist architectural movement infusing form and function and features a revolutionary structural system that influenced many projects in Harrison’s oeuvre. The acoustics of the sanctuary drove the form of the building, which resembles a fish, causing this building to be nicknamed the Fish Church. The superior acoustics will be demonstrated by the Minister of Music who will be on hand for the tours.