This walking tour hosted by Docomomo US/Hawaii will take participants on a stroll through the midcentury sites of University Avenue. The tour will traverse University Avenue between the Atherton YMCA [Johnson & Perkins 1959] and the Varsity Building [Wimberly & Cook, 1963], both of which have redevelopment rumors swirling around them. The tour will examine the ways in which architects designed buildings in order to respond to changes in the city, as well as how these buildings responded to technology, climate, the landscape, and popular modernist aesthetics. Additional stops include Our Redeemer Lutheran Church [Edwin Bauer, 1950], Church of the Crossroads [Claude Stiehl, 1934], and other surprises.
October 26, 2019
Tours will start at 2:00 p.m at the Varsity Building at 1110 University Avenue, located near the UH Manoa Campus.
Ticket sales will end at 5:00pm Friday, October 25, 2019.
Walk-in tickets will be available for purchase on event day for $45.
- Check-in will begin at 1:30pm in front of the Varsity Building on University Avenue. We encourage you to arrive early, as the tour will start promptly at 2pm!
- Please note: The tour involves approximately 2+ hours of walking. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee places to rest along the tour route. Remember to wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Please be respectful of our hosts and neighborhood residents by remaining with your tour guide at all times.
- Exterior photography along the tour is welcome.
- Wear sunscreen and a hat.
- Water will be provided upon check-in; please feel free to bring your own water bottles to stay fully hydrated!
- We welcome children 12-years-old and under to attend for free.
- Public parking is available along University Avenue. People may wish to carpool and leave a vehicle at each end of the tour.
- Public transportation via theBus is also available. For more information on routes and timetables, please visit: http://thebus.org/.