29 June 1970
In 1957, William Pereira & Associates was commissioned to begin site selection studies in San Diego County. In June 1965, Pereira’s firm was asked to design the main library for the UCSD campus. On July 1, 1968, ground was broken for the new library. The building was completed in 1970. Partial occupancy was reached by June of that year when the books were moved in. The first books were moved into the building on June 29, 1970.By September 1970, the library was at full occupancy.