Temple Beth El was designed by Percival Goodman, and constructed in 1953. The commission was part of the demand for new synagogues for suburban Jewish communities as part of the migration of American families to the suburbs following World War II. Goodman started designing synagogues in 1948, and quickly established a reputation as a leading Modernist designer and architect of synagogues in the United States. In his design of Temple Beth El, Goodman incorporated spaces for the three main elements required of his clients: a community and social space, a sanctuary for worship, and an educational space. Another key element in Goodman’s design was the use of works by contemporary Jewish artists in modest decoration of the exterior and interior spaces of the synagogue. Among those included in the design of Beth El were tapestries by Robert Motherwell and Adolph Gottlieb, and sculptures by Ibram Lassaw.