Sarasota High School’s Building Nos. 4 and 5 were a product of the Sarasota County’s internationally recognized school construction program. The program, which lasted from 1954 to 1960, was initiated by Philip Hiss. Hiss received a large inheritance that enabled him to pursue his many interests, one of which was architecture. He moved to Sarasota after World War II and found the schools poorly suited to the county’s climate and educational needs. He was elected to the Sarasota County School Board in 1952, determined to improve the district’s facilities. Building Nos. 4 and 5 are the most significant remnants of the post-war construction program in the district, ranking among the most important buildings of architect Paul Rudolph’s illustrious career. His experimentation with concrete and geometric forms at Sarasota High School would later be revisited in his Yale University Art and Architecture Building (1963) and the Orange County Government Center (1967).