The New York Central terminal is a six-story main terminal with a twenty-story office tower at northwest corner. The terminal was designed as a passenger station in the Art Deco style by the prominent New York City architecture firm of Fellheimer and Wagner. Fellhiemer and Wagner formed a partnership in 1921 and possessed the reputation of railroad design specialists. The building's erection was a solution to the problem of the train traffic congestion that was prevalent in the city, and the terminal consolidated and organized train traffic. The Buffalo terminal served the New York Central, Michigan Central, Grand Trunk, Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo (TH&B), Pennsylvania and Canadian National lines, and later served Penn Central and Amtrak. As of 2011, the building is empty and not in use.
U.S. National Register of Historic Places, listed on September 1984 | Buffalo Landmark, designated 1979