As an early example of a Modernist U.S. embassy, the Havana embassy is significant in understanding the nation’s self-portrayal following World War II. The appeasing modern design by the firm of Harrison and Abramovitz, and use of international materials, is representative of a brief period of cooperation between the two nations in the mid-twentieth century. When it opened its doors in 1953, it was looked upon favorably by both the United States and Cuban governments. By 1963, just a decade later, the building’s function as an embassy ceased and the building’s future was in peril. As it was reopened in 1977, the embassy has managed to remain standing and in the possession of the United States. As diplomatic tensions gradually ease between the United States and Cuba, the building becomes more relevant as a representation of United States diplomacy abroad.