Educational and Professional Programs
Docomomo US and our chapters maintain a series of programs aimed to promote the mission of documenting and increasing the awareness of buildings, sites and neighborhoods of the modern movement. From the publically-accessible Register of significant sites, to the annual Docomomo US Tour Day event, to educational and advocacy efforts across the country, Docomomo US is committed to developing educational as well as professional development programs.
The Docomomo US National Symposium is the primary event in the United States for those interested or engaged in the preservation of modern architecture to gather, discuss, share and explore the preservation of heritage of the second half of the 20th Century and its legacy and importance today.
- To promote the value of modern architecture and to highlight its significance and attributes
- To provide a forum whereby participants can share their knowledge and experience in an effort to promote collaboration and best practices
- To bring together the Docomomo US Board of Directors, its chapters and friend organizations, national and local partner organizations as well as the general membership and local community
- To provide an engaging and educational experience for Docomomo US members and all those who attend
- To promote interaction and communication among the chapters, the Board of Directors and its staff
- To provide a platform for the host organization, its city and region for their commitment and contribution to the preservation of modern architecture
The National Symposium developed as an outcome of the annual Docomomo US Board of Directors meeting held in which invited guests were invited to participate, expand our discussions and engage the organization more broadly.
2002 – Chicago, Illinois
2004 – San Francisco, California
2004 – VIIIth International Conference of Docomomo in New York City
2006 – Dallas, Texas
2008 – Atlanta, Georgia
2009 – New Orleans, Louisiana
2010 – Boston, Massachusetts
2011 – Los Angeles, California
2012 – New York, New York
2013 – Sarasota, Florida
2014 - To be announced in the fall of 2013
More information on the National Symposium can be found on the event website: www.docomomo-us-symposium.com.
Student Participation Grants
As funding permits, Docomomo US provides grants to American graduate students studying Historic Preservation to attend the Docomomo International Conference and Workshop. Students are selected based on the demonstration of a strong desire to understand the preservation of modern architecture, in the expectation that they will gain from the intellectually and culturally challenging environment of an international workshop but will also subsequently become an effective conduit between the Workshop and the graduate programs throughout the USA in which they are enrolled. Application submission announcements are typically listed one year before the Docomomo International Conference and Workshop.