Englewood Public Library
By: Adi Sela Wiener
Photo (right): Historic photo, photographer unknown, date unknown, courtesy: Englewood Public Library
Opened to the public in September 1968, the building was constructed to replace the town’s Carnegie Library (1915) that could no longer support the needs of its patrons. The project was largely funded by two private gifts, the Lillian Pitkin Schenck Fund and a confidential contribution given by Maxwell M. Upson from Englewood. The Library Board of Trustees selected Englewood native architect Delnoce Whitney Goubert (1929-2012) to design the new library building. Goubert had graduated from Columbia University in 1955 and opened an architectural firm in New York City in 1958. In the 1960s he received several New Jersey commissions, including the Elisabeth Morrow School Assembly Hall in Englewood (1965), a Development House in Morris Township (1967), and Panther Valley, a country club in Allamuchy (1969).