Eligibility and Guidelines
- Buildings, structures and landscapes must be located in the United States or on U.S. territory and have originally been completed between 1940 and 1980. Please contact Docomomo US if you would like a building or site to be considered that falls outside of these parameters by emailing email@example.com.
- Nominations must be the work of architectural design teams, preservation and/or advocacy organizations and persons located in the United States.
- All submissions must demonstrate significance of the building or site if not listed on the National Register of Historic Places or recognized by local landmarking laws.
- Submissions should have preservation as a core component of the treatment, design concept and/or strategy.
- Special consideration will be given to submissions that showcase an informed, well-executed, thoughtful, creative and holistic approach to the preservation of modern architecture.
Design and Inventory/Survey Submissions
- Preservation, restoration or rehabilitation of modern building(s), structure(s) or landscape(s) must have been completed between January 1, 2013 and March 2, 2018.
- For design projects, original construction materials and/or design intent must have been retained and/or restored. A significant loss of such may cause a submission to be deemed void.
- It is strongly recommended design submissions include before and after photographs taken from the same vantage point.
- It is strongly recommended design submissions include before and after floor plans where an addition or alteration has occurred. A site plan and/or section drawings can be included if relevant.
- Advocacy efforts should have been completed between January 1, 2013 and March 2, 2018 with an allowance for advocacy that is on-going.
- The building(s), structure(s) or landscape(s) that are the focus of the advocacy initiative must have been threatened with demolition or significant alteration.
- Advocacy efforts of multiple partners, persons or organizations that have gone above and beyond to work collectively and collaboratively are encouraged.
All nominations are to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A submission is considered complete once the below materials are completed and the submission fee is received.
Project Detail form
Name(s) and contact information of the nominator(s), design team(s), client, and owner.
Narrative (up to 1000 words)
The narrative should address the significance of the building(s), structure(s) or landscape(s), and the character-defining features that influenced the content or design of the project. For Design projects, please exclude the name of the firm or design team responsible for the project in the text.
Design projects: describe the team's design process and approach; considerations, challenges or opportunities that influenced the project; as well as the treatment of materials, assemblies, finishes and interventions related to the preservation of the integrity of the historic fabric. The narrative should also include a clear description, illustrated by corresponding images, of the defining features and materials of the original design, additions (if applicable), and current design. Projects featuring lesser-known or regional architects or designers (original design team) should include a minimal amount of biographic background information.
Inventory/Survey projects: describe how the project contributes to the advancement of knowledge and awareness of modern resources; the realized and potential impacts of the project in regards to furthering the understanding and awareness of the contributions of modern resources to history.
Advocacy projects: decribe the scope of the advocacy efforts, impact on the site and community and the result of the work. Advocacy efforts will be given equal consideration in the case of preservation, demolition and on-going efforts.
A photo release form and project detail form are required for a complete submission.
- Minimum of six (6) images of the project subject, project itself, or a combination of the two. Image size must be at least 1MB.
- The first image is the project lead image. The lead image will be used by Docomomo US in all material related to the project. The image should be horizontal and at least 1MB.
- It is strongly recommended design submissions include photographs comparing the original design, modifications made over time, and the project's current state taken from the same vantage point. You may combine multiple images on one page.
- It is strongly recommended design submissions photographs correspond with the description of the project in the narrative.
- At least one image should be a relevant historic image.
- Descriptions of the images and image credits should accompany the files as either a Word document or PDF.
Floor plans/additional drawings
For design submissions, before and after floor plans where an addition or alteration has occurred are strongly recommended. A site plan and/or section drawings can be included if relevant.
1. A $150 processing fee per nomination (waived for Advocacy Award) for submissions received by March 2, 2018.
2. Nominations received on or before February 2, 2018 will be extended an early discounted processing fee of $100 per nomination.
3. Processing fees can be sent ONLINE or by check payable to Docomomo US to PO Box 230977 New York, NY 10023.